My grandparents were Albert and Dorothy Yank. Both have passed away now but memories of them both can be found around Walk’n Y Ranch and in my home in Idaho to include numerous trophies and glass encased racing silks worn by the best of jockeys.
Albert turned his hobby into his business for which he had a passion and an unparalleled knack. Albert was an owner, breeder, seller and an agent of world renowned thoroughbreds.
- To most who knew him, Albert Yank was known as the Silver Fox.
- Dorothy may have never reached world renowned status in the common use of the word, but she brought Tanya into this world, whew!! Worthy of mention, of course, is that Dorothy had to put up with “Albert the Agent” for forty-eight years.
- Albert and Dorothy’s main home sat directly across the street from Santa Anita Race Track in Arcadia, CA. The view of the race track could not have been better from Albert’s chair in his office upstairs. This is where he operated Altandor Farms as well as that which became known to horse enthusiasts around the world, the Woldwide Bloodstock Agency.
- Albert also had houses in Kentucky, Florida, and Paris but his dream came true in 1984 when he designed and had built, his estate, The Albert Yank Equine Recreational Park located in Romoland, CA.
- Albert set a record for the staggering purchase price he spent for a two-year old at the CTBA sales.
- Acting as agent for Jean Pancoast, Albert paid $130,000 for half-brother to Pink Pigeon, the colt by T.V. Lark Ruwenzori, (consigned by Preston Madden).
Some of Albert’s wins include:
- His first, Blue Volt, winning four $25,000 Handicaps as a Stakes Winner In the 1950’s.
- Effervescing set a record when he won two $100,000 purses within one week, both the American and Citation Handicap, at Hollywood Park in 1978.
- Effervescing also won the the Eddie Reads Handicap at Del Mar Race Track in 1978.
- Effervescing won the Seven Furlongs from the Oak Tree Racing Association in 1984.
- Wayward Pirate won the Sorrento Stakes at Del Mar Race Track in 1978.
- Gonquin won the Keneland Breeders Futurity in 1977.
- Ruwenzori won The Oaks Prep at Churchill Downs in 1959.